Judge orders Trump administration to reinstate foreign aid funding for now

Washington – The Trump administration must temporarily allow the disbursement of foreign aid, a judge ruled on Thursday, treating the last blow to the administration’s efforts to stop international aid.

The court order occurred in response to a lawsuit filed by non -profit groups that work in international aid projects, as well as in other organizations.

They had asked that the executive order of the President of Donald Trump’s block, signed last month, to implement a general pause on the foreign aid of the United States. Subsequently, Secretary of State Marco Rubio ordered an immediate stop to almost all foreign assistance from the United States.

Follow the live policy coverage here

Instead of governing the entire executive order, the American district judge Amir Ali made a closer decision on Thursday, saying that the administration for now could not suspend or cancel the foreign assistance that was in force before Trump assumed the position.

Ali said, however, that “the court does not consider appropriate or necessary to order the president or the executive order itself.”

The judge Said in its ruling that the administration has not yet “disputed significantly detailed and credible evidence to innumerable US companies, ranging from closing programs to the license and displacement of employees, until the closing completely.”

The White House did not immediately respond to a comment application on Thursday night.

The Global Health Council, one of the plaintiffs, praised the ruling in a press release, with the president of the Council, Elisha Dunn-Georgiou, saying that the ruling was “a first vital step to restore the foreign assistance programs of the USA”.

“Delete the way for organizations to resume their work of salvation of lives, showing the best of US values: compassion, leadership and a commitment to global health, stability and shared prosperity,” Dunn-Georgiou continued.

The judge instructed the parties to submit a joint status report before Friday at 5 PM with respect to other legal procedures.

The White House had addressed the United States Agency for International Development shortly after Trump’s executive order that stopped foreign aid. Thousands of employees and contractors were fired, licensed or placed on administrative license.

USAID offers billions of dollars in foreign aid from the United States, but Trump and Elon Musk, headed by the government’s efficiency department, have argued that the agency is a waste. Musk has called the USAID a “criminal organization.”



Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *