According to police, four people were killed and 32 injured in an explosion that targeted a bus in suburban Turbat area of Balochistan on Saturday.
Rabia Tariq, public relations officer of the Balochistan inspector general of police office, confirmed the number of victims to sunrise.comadding that the nature of the explosion was being assessed, but that full details would be provided only after an investigation.
He said that according to initial details, a bus going from Karachi to Turbat was attacked in New Bahman area, adding that the injured were shifted to a nearby hospital and five were in critical condition.
Tariq said that a large number of police and security forces reached the scene and cordoned off the area and that further investigations into the explosion were being carried out.
He said Senior Superintendent of Police (SSP) Zohaib Mohsin was also going to Turbat with his family and was caught in the explosion.
A statement by Balochistan government spokesperson Shahid Rind said SSP Mohsin was slightly injured, along with four members of his family.
The banned militant group Balochistan Liberation Army claimed responsibility for the attack.
Condemning the attack, Balochistan Chief Minister Mir Sarfraz Bugti expressed “deep pain and sadness over the loss of precious human lives.”
He further said that “those who attack innocent people do not deserve to be called human beings,” adding that he shared the pain of the families affected by the incident and prayed for the recovery of the injured.
One person was injured in a bomb attack on a gas company vehicle in Qila Saifullah district on Wednesday. Police officials said the terrorists had planned to attack the camp of Oil and Gas Development Corporation Limited located on the outskirts of Qila Saifullah.
In November last year, at least 26 people were killed and 62 injured after a suicide blast ripped through a Quetta train station, local authorities and hospital officials said.
Pakistan, particularly Balochistan and Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, saw a sharp rise in terrorism-related incidents in 2024.
With at least 685 security forces personnel losing their lives amid a total of 444 terror attacks, 2024 turned out to be the deadliest year for Pakistan’s military and civilian security forces in a decade.
Equally alarming were the cumulative losses of civilians and security personnel: 1,612 deaths, representing more than 63 percent of the total recorded this year and 73 percent more losses compared to the 934 outlaws eliminated.
This is a developing story that will be updated as the situation evolves. Initial media reports can sometimes be inaccurate. We will endeavor to ensure timeliness and accuracy by relying on credible sources, such as competent and qualified authorities and our staff of reporters.