BC Prime Minister David Eby has confirmed that three miners are trapped underground in a mine in northern BC
The miners work in the territory of the Nation Red Chris Mine in Talhtan near Dease Lake, BC
Two of the miners are from BC and one is from Ontario, said Prime Minister at a press conference at the first meeting of Ministers in Ontario on Wednesday morning.
“There was an accident,” said Eby. “There are three miners who are currently trapped underground. They are, according to our knowledge, without hurting and in a refuge area.”
Initially, Eby said the incident occurred during the night, but the company later confirmed that it happened earlier on Tuesday.
BC Prime Minister David Eby said on Wednesday that there was an accident at the Red Chris mine in the northwest of BC, where three miners, two of BC and one of Ontario, are trapped underground. Eby added that, according to their knowledge, they are not injured. (Note: The prime minister initially said that the incident occurred during the night, in fact, the incident occurred on Tuesday).
Eby said there was “early communication” with the company, Newmont Corp.
“The company is working with our leading mining rescue teams in the world. BC miners are the best in the world, our rescue teams are exceptional and work overtime to take these workers to their families to their families,” Eby said.
CBC News has communicated with Newmont Corp., which operates the mine.
The Red Chris mine is a copper and open gold mine that has been operating since 2015.
More to come