At least 22 people died and another 11 were injured in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa in rain -related accidents, strong winds, sudden floods and landslides since June 25, according to a report by the Provincial Disaster Management Authority (PDMA).
Heavy rains and sudden floods have wreaked havoc in the province, while 18 people were swept along the Swat River due to a sudden increase in water. The authorities have warned about possible sudden floods and landslides as monsoon’s rains continue in the province.
The PDMA published a report on the loss of lives and property due to rain -related incidents in different districts of the province, including Swat, Abbottabad, Mansehra, Chitral, Buner, Swabi, Kurram Charsadda, Malakand, Shangla, Lower Dir, Torghar and Wazirist del Sur.
According to the report, victims include seven men, five women and 10 children, while the injured include six men, four women and a child. A total of 75 houses were damaged due to the rain, of which 64 were partially and 11 completely destroyed.
Swat was the most affected district, in which 14 people died and six people were injured, the report added.
The PDMA instructed the district administration to provide immediate assistance to affected families and guarantee the provision of medical facilities to the injured.
The Disaster Management Agency said that the rains are likely to continue until July 1. The PDMA has already issued a letter to the district administration to remain alert and take preventive measures.
The rescue operation continues on Swat River
Meanwhile, rescue officials continued a search operation on the fourth consecutive day on the Swat River on Monday after a group of 13 tourists disappeared amid strong rains and sudden flood.
Efforts are being made to recover the body of a child who is still missing since Friday, while 12 bodies were found previously.
Rescue teams are carrying out search operations in several locations along the river, including Swat Bypass, Kanju and Brikot to locate the missing child.
Advisor of the Principal Minister on Information at Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Barrimer Muhammad Ali Saif said that measures will be taken against those responsible for drowning tourists.
Speaking to the media, the advisor said that 80 people have been rescued in sudden floods. He added that the provincial government will take “indiscriminate” measures against invasions along the Swat River.
Saif said that sending a helicopter to rescue tourists swept by sudden floods was not possible since the aerial ambulance lacked equipment.
“We have an air ambulance. But according to civil aviation, pilots and other experts, it was not possible to rescue [the tourists] From the location, ”he added.
He said that the air ambulance is used to transport the injured, but does not have the equipment required to transport people in rescue operations.
He also said the aerial ambulance in the inclement weather conditions and the hard terrain would have caused a disaster instead of rescuing stranded people.
Saif said that the demanding KP’s prime minister, Ali Amin Gandapur, the resignation is also responsible for the deaths in Tharparkar, Sindh.
Previously, CM Gandapur ordered his inspection team to investigate deaths at the sudden flooding of the Swat River. He also expressed sadness for the tragedy and announced compensation for the deceased.
The Government suspended three officials of the Swat district administration and one from the Help Rehabilitation and Liquidation Department.
People from all areas of life took to the streets on Saturday to protest the deaths, claiming that local residents communicated to rescue 1122, the local administration and other departments, but received a late response, which led to the loss of lives.
Swat Olasi Pasoon members and civil society were demonstrated in Nishat Chowk in Mingora against the delayed response of the authorities to the call of stranded tourists to obtain help.
Political activists, merchants and lawyers also joined them, blaming the deaths of the Swat river for the negligence of the administration and rescue officials of the district. The protesters asked for the introduction of a modern rescue system, with helicopter service and an early flood warning system.
They also expressed concern about the growing mining of the river bed on Swat, saying that the activity without control has altered the natural course of the Swat River, causing environmental damage and creating dangerous conditions for residents and visitors equally.
They demanded responsibility for deaths related to floods and improvement in disaster management and security protocols to avoid such incidents in the future.